.

NEWS AND VIEWS THAT IMPACT LIMITED CONSTITUTIONAL GOVERNMENT

"There is danger from all men. The only maxim of a free government ought to be to trust no man living with
power to endanger the public liberty." - - - - John Adams

Monday, October 12, 2015

Student Suspended for Patriotic Shirt



Patriotism is a Thought Crime


(KATU.com)  -  You don't have to talk with eigth-grader Alan Holmes for very long to know that patriotism and support for the military are very important to him.

That's in large part due to his older brother, who joined the Marines when he was just 19 and wound up serving abroad in Iraq.

Alan will never forget the day his big brother made it home safely.

"I was proud of him. I remember the day he came home and I was just so happy. I was little but I still remember it, he made me happy," Alan said. 
.


Ever since then Alan has tried to show his support for the troops, something he says he was doing when he wore shirt with an image of the traditional soldier memorial, with a rifle, boots, and a helmet,  to Dexter McCarty Middle School on Wednesday.

But he says the principal spotted the shirt and gave him an ultimatum, switch shirts or face and in-school suspension. Alan didn't back down.

"The principal, I asked him, is this considered a suspension? He said yes I'll see you tomorrow and I left," Alan said.

Alan still can't understand why the image caused so much fuss.

"I was just upset. I was heartbroken. My brother, he means everything for me. Just being able to help and give back to the people who fought and died for us it just makes me feel good," Alan said.

We checked the school dress code and it does bar students from wearing any clothes promoting alcohol, drugs, tobacco or violence.

The district refused to comment, citing student confidentiality requirements. They said only that weapons on a shirt are not appropriate in a school setting.


Read More . . . .



No comments: